Honors and Pre-AP Classes

Did you know that your child may still be able to participate in Honor’s/gifted and talented or Pre-Ap classes?

Often kids with disabilities get overlooked for these programs because they qualify for Special Ed, however depending on HOW they qualify may make the difference.

In numerous studies, it has shown that students with Dyslexia have average to above average IQ so these classes are a better fit than “traditional classes”.

Students that qualify with Hearing Impairment, Speech Impairment or ADHD may also qualify.

Finally, a large number of students with Autism/Asperger’s Syndrome do have higher IQs and not only benefit from these programs, but thrive.

AND the teacher still has to follow accommodations from their IEPs. For example, spell check, calculators, quiet place to cool off.

Where is my child?

Most schools have been in session for at least two weeks at this time. Why is this an important ?

If your child is in the wrong classroom, they can be considered “out of placement” and the school is not following your child’s IEP.  The student can legally be out of placement for up to 10 days, then the school has to offer what is called compensatory services. This means that they have to make up the time that your child has missed on services. 

Students often need schedule changes at the beginning of the school year or semester and Special Education Students may be overlooked in this process. Double check with your child or school today to make sure your child is getting the right services.

For example, if you have a child that is supposed to be in a Co -Teach or Inclusion they should have seen this teacher by now – ask your child who it is; call them. Make sure they also have your child’s IEP.  Since the school also has 10 days to get that information out, they should have that by now also.

Other possible scenarios:

  • Your child is served in a self-contained class  and has “out classes” with support.
  • Your child has Resource Classes (often called pull – out) for ELA/Math only.
  • Inclusion support for Science/Social Studies?

Dyslexia and Intervention services also should have been started by now so that your child does not get further behind.

Many schools may use the excuse that they are understaffed. This does not excuse them from implementing your child’s IEP!

** Side note:  if your child has Inclusion or Co-Teach, the school should be providing a sub if that teacher is out of the classroom.   You always have a right to request documentation that services are being provided.

If you need help talking to your school contact me and I can help!




Labor Day and other holidays

Does your child struggle after returning to school after a break?

As parents, it is difficult to keep a routine during a break, but kids with disabilities (particularly ADHD and Autism) strive for routines and consistency. Transitioning from a holiday weekend or long breaks, like Christmas, can be difficult. Some ideas to help routines include:

* Have you child wake up at around the same time everyday.

* Have lunch at the same time.

* Continue bedtime routines as normal.

* If there are going to be changes to your day, let your child know ahead of time so they can be prepared.

* If you are making vacation plans, include your child in those plans. It makes the transition easier and change seem less scary.

Did you know that your child’s teacher CANNOT tell you that your child must be on meds before they can return to school? They CANNOT tell you that your child needs meds.

Did you know if you see your child seem to “lose skill” after being on extended breaks like Christmas, Thanksgiving or summer time, they may qualify for Extended School Year?

Progress Reports?

Is it time for your child’s first progress report?

Check your child’s grades and see if they are struggling.

This is the time to set up at parent conference if you see that they are having problems adjusting to new school year.

Did you know that the school has 10 days to get out IEPs to teachers? Your child’s teachers should know your child’s accommodations by now, so if you are not seeing these in place– contact the school immediately and begin documentation.


Dyslexia services can be served under 504 services and students can receive accommodations to classwork and tests.

You can request specific testing for Dyslexia in most districts.

There is a specific program provided by Scottish Rite (Take Flight) that has show success for students with Dyslexia. Students are pulled from general education classes into small groups for this intervention.

However, students do not necessarily qualify for Special Education services unless they have a Specific Learning Disability. In Texas, Dyslexia is covered separately from Special Education. This is not the case in most states. Most states, they are both covered under Special Education.

You can request Dyslexia testing even if your child is already served under Special Education and vice versa.