- Section 504 is considered a civil rights law.
- The purpose of Section 504 is to protect individuals with disabilities from discrimination for reason related to their disabilities.
- Individuals must have a physical or mental impairment.
- The impairment must limit at least one major life activity
- Examples included: walking, seeing, speaking, breathing, writing performing math calculations and/or caring for oneself.
Accommodations and Modifications.
Accommodations can include things such as calculators, small group instruction and extra time for assignments. It can also include leaving class early for a broken leg. Any child with a disability may receive accommodations and modifications that are not available to nondisabled peers.